Having your own gym equipment at home offers immeasurable convenience and efficiency. Aside from the availability of the gym equipment you need for your fitness goals, you also have the luxury of having them for yourself. That means no more leaving the house to work out and waiting for the person using the equipment you want to finish. Your home gym also entails freedom, privacy, and comfort. You can wear whatever you want, follow the routine you prefer, and take all the time you need without fearing judgement from other gym-goers.
Like any other home facility that’s used all the time, your gym equipment is also prone to get damaged, soiled, and even smelly in the long run. Your sweat harbours millions of bacteria and fungi that can cause your gym amenities to stink and spawn diseases. That’s why it is necessary that you always clean and sanitise your gym facilities. To assist you with that, here’s our ultimate guide to cleaning your home gym equipment.
How to Clean Home Gym Equipment
Every gym equipment requires a different cleaning technique to ensure that you reach all surfaces and hidden corners. Before you start, unplug all electrical machines and equipment first. And then prepare the tools and cleaning solutions you need, such as a wet and dry microfibre cloth and your commercial disinfecting agent. If you don’t have a commercial one, you can make your own by mixing equal parts of water and vinegar in a spray glass.
Cleaning Dumbbells, Kettlebells, and Weights
Since dumbbells and weights directly come into contact with your hands, these pieces of gym equipment retain the sweat, oil, and bacteria that were in your palms. Dish-washing soap can be of help in cleaning your free weights.
- Dampen your microfibre cloth with your dish-washing soap solution.
- Wipe down the surfaces of your weights, dumbbells, and kettlebells.
- Use a clean, dry microfibre cloth to wipe dry your gym weights.
- Do the abovementioned steps every after use.
Cleaning Treadmills, Static Bikes, and other machines
- Unplug the machine.
- Wipe down surfaces and handles with your disinfecting spray and microfibre cloth. Make sure that you reach every corner and recess of your gym machines.
- For areas with hard-to-clean dirt, use a toothbrush and dish-washing liquid to scrub the stubborn dirt away.
- Let your machine dry or use a new microfibre cloth to wipe your equipment dry.
- Do the abovementioned steps daily after your workout.
Cleaning your Yoga Mat
Sweat, dirt, oil, and bacteria can linger in the creases of your yoga mat for days. Those are what give off the awful smell when you unroll your mat the next time you work out. That’s why it’s necessary that you sanitise your yoga mat after using to prevent germs and odour buildup.
- Create your soap solution by dissolving dish-washing liquid in warm water.
- Dampen your microfibre cloth with the dish-washing solution.
- Wipe one side of your mat with the cloth, making sure that you cover everything.
- Use hot water to rinse your mat.
- Dry your yoga mat with a fresh microfibre cloth.
- Repeat steps 3-5 for the other side of your yoga mat.
- Hang your yoga mat to dry but don’t place it under direct sunlight. Doing so can damage your rubber mat.
Cleaning Resistance Bands
Resistance bands are tricky to clean because they are stretchy and sensitive to cleaning agents. However, dish-washing soap can be of help to clean this gym staple.
- Soak your resistance bands in your dish-washing soap solution for a few seconds to about a minute. Give it a little stroking and swishing while it’s there.
- Rinse your bands with warm water.
- Hang your resistance bands to air-dry but don’t place it under direct sunlight. Doing so can cause it to deteriorate.
Gym Equipment Cleaning in Melbourne
You can always save yourself from the hassle of cleaning your home gym equipment by contacting Crystal Maids. Here at Crystal Maids, we understand that exercising for hours has already exhausted your body to move a muscle for cleaning. That’s why our gym equipment cleaning service is the perfect solution to your problem.
We offer routine cleaning services to ensure that your gym facilities at the homestay are in mint condition. Just set a schedule with us, and we’ll be there when you need us. We guarantee you that our cleaners will sanitise, wipe, and dust off every corner of your gym equipment. Our professional team has every tool, equipment, techniques, and skills to take away dirt, grime, rust, and sweat that’s on the surface of your home gym equipment.
Don’t hesitate to book a cleaning appointment with us. Crystal Maids will be quick to respond to your cleaning needs.